Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Don't You Dare Leave This World Without Reading This, Mom

Dear Mom,

I may be a Daughter of the King, but he gave me to you.  And in your arms I grew to love and honor and emulate you both. 

You fed me honey-butter sandwiches and pea soup when it is just about all I would eat.  You sent me outside to play with the knowledge that you were at home all day, all Summer, Winter, Spring and Fall. You gave me a chance to take piano lessons and let me quit; but not before I learned to read a bit of music --just enough to teach myself to play later on. 

You taught me to be objective and fair.  You taught me to love people.  You stuck with me when I was really, really bad.  And I only remember one spanking, because you had such strength, I rarely dared to cross you.

You NEVER EVEN ONCE said a disparaging word about my earthly father from the day he left us to this day, 45 years later.  (Thank you!) You've shown true love and courage every day of your life.

You always told me the truth.  When I came home one day from grammar school in tears because the older kids on the bus made fun of my "fire engine red socks,"  you said, "Well, they are fire engine red."

You showed me by example how to keep a healthy, pretty, and tidy home; how to be frugal and careful with resources. And,even though I'm not a fan of picking up dog litter with used napkins and paper towels, I follow your example of frugality in other ways.

You taught my brothers to be good, honest men, and when I reached an age when I was about to fly the nest, you reminded me that they were there to help me, and they were!

You caused me to think twice before making a very bad decision, then allowed me to make it and learn from it.

You were a friend to my friends.  They all loved to be around you.  And you often rescued them: when a friend's dog ran through a cake her mother was taking to an important function, you fixed it and it looked better than before, remember?

You took me to plays and art auctions . I learned.

You were good to your parents.  I admired.

You are creative and fun and smart. I watch.
You were a leader, a participant, a contributor and still are all these things!  I try to emulate you.

You are kind to animals.  Okay, except for rats and mice.

You tried to teach me to sew and bake pies.

You passed on a love for gardening.

When I was a child you told me (tongue-in -cheek) that all Jimmys were bad.  But later on, when I was asked out on a date by one of them, you said, "Who knows, it may be the most important day of your life."  And it was!

You gave me the book that introduced me to my Heavenly Father, The Hiding Place, by Corrie Ten Boom.  And later, while sitting by a pond in the woods, you assured me that you "know that you know, that the God of the Bible is for real."

You supported me every step of my life.  You sent me to college with your inheritance. You rescued me from losing my home with your investments, giving me time and grace to pay you back.

You helped me encourage my girls to be excellent women by giving them pet names like "Loving Wonderful."  and "Courageous Wonderful."   You taught them to love nature, games, books, classic movies, how to sew and cook and can; and to think about their future choices.  You contributed to their education over and over, through your own sacrifices, thereby demonstrating how to be a Grandmother who encourages the best in the next generation.  This I am trying to do as well.

Today, Mom, I got a letter from you with instructions on how to care for your body when your spirit is no longer occupying its lovely form.  You did this for my stepfather and for my sister, brothers and me.  You donated your beautiful body to others to use as was necessary.  In this you showed us all so much.

But don't you dare go to be with your Lord until you read and understand that your example is so admired and appreciated!  You are my hero.  My best hope is to be like you.  And when you are indeed with our Father, I will miss, honor and adore you (and the people you leave behind) until I join you.

This is summed up in a photograph I took of a magnet on your fridge.  


All my Love and Gratitude,
Becky
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. and here is a glimpse into her heart, with her words to me:
    Becky, I hardly know what to say in response to your love letter email to me. The tears just flowed and I could not even read it to Bill - he had to read it himself. That was just as if God had said to me, "Well done my good and faithful servant." Thank you for putting my life in such an important and meaningful perspective. I will keep that letter as long as I live at hand so I can read it and know myself through your eyes. I love you too. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful exchange Becky. Thanks for sharing it. What a tribute. Maybe time I got thinking along these lines (and passing it on!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful. What a wonderful Mother you have. The special appreciation you have for the impact she made on your life shines through very clearly. I don't know either of you but it brought tears to my eyes. Please continue to cherish your life together and be thankful for that special relationship you have. God has really blessed you and I feel honored to have the opportunity to read about the love you have for each other. I'm so glad you found me on Facebook and sent me a message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Becky! I love this post! thank you so so much for linking it up at the brighton park best of 2011 link up. I can see why this was your favorite post you wrote this past year. I can only hope to aspire to be this kind of mother to my own daughters. what a wonderful reminder of the little things we do and say now are carried with our children their whole lives. God bless you in 2012~ katie

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts.

To Subscribe by Email :

Enter your email address:

Precious Readers

My Father's Words

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud, it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." Love never fails

Father's Love Letter

An Intimate Message from God to You:

My Child,

You may not know me, but I know everything about you. Psalm 139:1

I know when you sit down and when you rise up. Psalm 139:2

I am familiar with all your ways. Psalm 139:3

Even the very hairs on your head are numbered. Matthew 10:29-31

For you were made in my image. Genesis 1:27

In me you live and move and have your being. Acts 17:28

For you are my offspring. Acts 17:28

I knew you even before you were conceived. Jeremiah 1:4-5

I chose you when I planned creation. Ephesians 1:11-12

You were not a mistake, for all your days are written in my book. Psalm 139:15-16

I determined the exact time of your birth and where you would live. Acts 17:26

You are fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14

I knit you together in your mother's womb. Psalm 139:13

And brought you forth on the day you were born. Psalm 71:6

I have been misrepresented by those who don't know me. John 8:41-44

I am not distant and angry, but am the complete expression of love. 1 John 4:16

And it is my desire to lavish my love on you. 1 John 3:1

Simply because you are my child and I am your Father. 1 John 3:1

I offer you more than your earthly father ever could. Matthew 7:11

For I am the perfect father. Matthew 5:48

Every good gift that you receive comes from my hand. James 1:17

For I am your provider and I meet all your needs. Matthew 6:31-33

My plan for your future has always been filled with hope. Jeremiah 29:11

Because I love you with an everlasting love. Jeremiah 31:3

My thoughts toward you are countless as the sand on the seashore. Psalms 139:17-18

And I rejoice over you with singing. Zephaniah 3:17

I will never stop doing good to you. Jeremiah 32:40

For you are my treasured possession. Exodus 19:5

I desire to establish you with all my heart and all my soul. Jeremiah 32:41

And I want to show you great and marvelous things. Jeremiah 33:3

If you seek me with all your heart, you will find me. Deuteronomy 4:29

Delight in me and I will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

For it is I who gave you those desires. Philippians 2:13

I am able to do more for you than you could possibly imagine. Ephesians 3:20

For I am your greatest encourager. 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17

I am also the Father who comforts you in all your troubles. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

When you are brokenhearted, I am close to you. Psalm 34:18

As a shepherd carries a lamb, I have carried you close to my heart. Isaiah 40:11

One day I will wipe away every tear from your eyes. Revelation 21:3-4

And I'll take away all the pain you have suffered on this earth. Revelation 21:3-4

I am your Father, and I love you even as I love my son, Jesus. John 17:23

For in Jesus, my love for you is revealed. John 17:26

He is the exact representation of my being. Hebrews 1:3

He came to demonstrate that I am for you, not against you. Romans 8:31

And to tell you that I am not counting your sins. 2 Corinthians 5:18-19

Jesus died so that you and I could be reconciled. 2 Corinthians 5:18-19

His death was the ultimate expression of my love for you. 1 John 4:10

I gave up everything I loved that I might gain your love. Romans 8:31-32

If you receive the gift of my son Jesus, you receive me. 1 John 2:23

And nothing will ever separate you from my love again. Romans 8:38-39

Come home and I'll throw the biggest party heaven has ever seen. Luke 15:7

I have always been Father, and will always be Father. Ephesians 3:14-15

My question is…Will you be my child? John 1:12-13

I am waiting for you. Luke 15:11-32

Love, Your Dad.... ...Almighty God

PERMISSION TO COPY:The printed version of Father's Love Letter can be copied and used for free distribution providing the following copyright information is displayed... 'Father's Love Letter used by permission Father Heart Communications Copyright 1999-2008 http://www.fathersloveletter.com/

If you would like to look up the verses...copy and paste to the search bar on this site: Bible Gateway