Friday, May 6, 2011

"I Like Them, Sam I Am. I Like Green Eggs and Ham!"

The day I ate Green Eggs and Ham...
... was one of those days:  cool morning breezes, doves busily gathering twigs for their nests.  I decided to harvest my spinach before getting to work in the office. And my life came together in a flash!

My generation began and grew to maturity between two very different times in US history: WW2 and Vietnam.  We are the baby boomers --  grandchildren of the initiators of modern technology and modern society; we are the children of the generation that saved freedom through sacrifice; the first to watch world events on TV, talk on the phone from our car, send a letter across the country in a second.  We are the baby boomers, the rebels.  We said " no"  to convention and then became convention.  And now we are the generation talking about the good ole days, when things were simple.

Trying to hang on to the simple things in life is what my generation is going to do next. We're the ones going green, raising chickens, planting gardens, turning a cynical eye toward the politics of our day.  We remember walking to the corner store to buy a candy bar for 5 cents. We remember when everything was closed on Sunday and, milk came in glass bottles with cream on the top. 

I lived in the safety of America during the Cold War while the U.S. became a superpower.  This morning I read about some of the daughters of my generation, women who leave their babies at home and go serve our country in the embattled Middle East.  They go so their children may grow and enjoy the same freedom I cherish.

You might ask what all this has to do with Green Eggs and Ham.

Everything! 

The day I ate Green eggs and ham, I made perfect photocopies of a Bible that was printed in 1878, sent them off to New York, Texas, &  California; they were ready to view in under a minute.

The day I ate Green Eggs and Ham journalists were talking about terrorism, the demise of a major terrorist leader, and the "certain" retribution  we should expect anytime, anywhere.  But I was harvesting homegrown spinach and using it to make a delicious, healthy smoothie and a wonderful omelet!  I was listening to bird songs while offering a bath to the little feathered soloists who know or care nothing of the past or the future of the world.  They simply do what is before them, they carry out the task at hand. They eat, they drink, they raise their young in carefully prepared nests--come what may around them, they do it all the same.  They sing.

  Why? Because my Father in Heaven has the whole world in his hands.
 Generations of people and birds come and go.  Life is today, now, where we are.  The task to do is the task at hand.  I am thankful for the men and women whose task is to risk their lives to secure freedom. I am thrilled that I can easily send a photo of an ancient Bible across the country in a  couple of seconds.  


Because of  the dreams, sacrifices, and efforts of generations before me, the hopes of the generation following, and because God is faithful,  I can stop to enjoy a spinach smoothie, topped with fresh mint. (recipes below)

(And just look at the beauty of those leaves.  Intricately designed, organized with veins of life- giving substance, endowed with heavenly scent and usefulness.)

Because of the arduous days soldiers have spent training and sweating and bleeding,  I have the freedom to fill a bath for the birds who build their nests in my backyard.

I really never thought this meal would end up tying my whole life together but it did. It made me notice the creative plan of God, the beauty and simple intricacy of the natural world that continues while man struggles and strives.

The day I ate Green Eggs and Ham something as basic as gardening and eating shared space with the past and the future, it was as though all of time existed in one single moment.  And it was good.

FRESH GREEN SMOOTHIE
To start the day healthy and green: Blend 1 banana, 1 cup unsweetened coconut (or almond) milk, 1 big handful of washed spinach, 4-5 strawberries (I use frozen) 1/2 ripe avacado...YUM!

GREEN OMELETTE
Blend 2 fresh eggs with a handful of chopped spinach, 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, and a splash of milk or half and half.  Heat pan, add 1 tsp virgin coconut oil. Cook gently.  After turning the egg mixture, add your choice of filling.  I used cooked bacon and grated sharp cheddar.  Enjoy!





Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Made me cry. Loved it. I want spinich smoothies and candy for 5 cents and the simplicity in life. Perhaps thats heaven...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make [them] afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hath spoken [it]." It's like you're getting a jump on the Millenial Kingdom there in your peaceful oasis. Thank you for your peaceful meditations!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts.

To Subscribe by Email :

Enter your email address:

Precious Readers

My Father's Words

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud, it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." Love never fails

Father's Love Letter

An Intimate Message from God to You:

My Child,

You may not know me, but I know everything about you. Psalm 139:1

I know when you sit down and when you rise up. Psalm 139:2

I am familiar with all your ways. Psalm 139:3

Even the very hairs on your head are numbered. Matthew 10:29-31

For you were made in my image. Genesis 1:27

In me you live and move and have your being. Acts 17:28

For you are my offspring. Acts 17:28

I knew you even before you were conceived. Jeremiah 1:4-5

I chose you when I planned creation. Ephesians 1:11-12

You were not a mistake, for all your days are written in my book. Psalm 139:15-16

I determined the exact time of your birth and where you would live. Acts 17:26

You are fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14

I knit you together in your mother's womb. Psalm 139:13

And brought you forth on the day you were born. Psalm 71:6

I have been misrepresented by those who don't know me. John 8:41-44

I am not distant and angry, but am the complete expression of love. 1 John 4:16

And it is my desire to lavish my love on you. 1 John 3:1

Simply because you are my child and I am your Father. 1 John 3:1

I offer you more than your earthly father ever could. Matthew 7:11

For I am the perfect father. Matthew 5:48

Every good gift that you receive comes from my hand. James 1:17

For I am your provider and I meet all your needs. Matthew 6:31-33

My plan for your future has always been filled with hope. Jeremiah 29:11

Because I love you with an everlasting love. Jeremiah 31:3

My thoughts toward you are countless as the sand on the seashore. Psalms 139:17-18

And I rejoice over you with singing. Zephaniah 3:17

I will never stop doing good to you. Jeremiah 32:40

For you are my treasured possession. Exodus 19:5

I desire to establish you with all my heart and all my soul. Jeremiah 32:41

And I want to show you great and marvelous things. Jeremiah 33:3

If you seek me with all your heart, you will find me. Deuteronomy 4:29

Delight in me and I will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

For it is I who gave you those desires. Philippians 2:13

I am able to do more for you than you could possibly imagine. Ephesians 3:20

For I am your greatest encourager. 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17

I am also the Father who comforts you in all your troubles. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

When you are brokenhearted, I am close to you. Psalm 34:18

As a shepherd carries a lamb, I have carried you close to my heart. Isaiah 40:11

One day I will wipe away every tear from your eyes. Revelation 21:3-4

And I'll take away all the pain you have suffered on this earth. Revelation 21:3-4

I am your Father, and I love you even as I love my son, Jesus. John 17:23

For in Jesus, my love for you is revealed. John 17:26

He is the exact representation of my being. Hebrews 1:3

He came to demonstrate that I am for you, not against you. Romans 8:31

And to tell you that I am not counting your sins. 2 Corinthians 5:18-19

Jesus died so that you and I could be reconciled. 2 Corinthians 5:18-19

His death was the ultimate expression of my love for you. 1 John 4:10

I gave up everything I loved that I might gain your love. Romans 8:31-32

If you receive the gift of my son Jesus, you receive me. 1 John 2:23

And nothing will ever separate you from my love again. Romans 8:38-39

Come home and I'll throw the biggest party heaven has ever seen. Luke 15:7

I have always been Father, and will always be Father. Ephesians 3:14-15

My question is…Will you be my child? John 1:12-13

I am waiting for you. Luke 15:11-32

Love, Your Dad.... ...Almighty God

PERMISSION TO COPY:The printed version of Father's Love Letter can be copied and used for free distribution providing the following copyright information is displayed... 'Father's Love Letter used by permission Father Heart Communications Copyright 1999-2008 http://www.fathersloveletter.com/

If you would like to look up the verses...copy and paste to the search bar on this site: Bible Gateway